"just hobby-squeakers" (was "Proposal for Squeak 3.8")

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Oct 12 09:57:48 UTC 2004

Am 11.10.2004 um 02:26 schrieb Craig Latta:

> 	(Oops, sorry, I meant to make a new thread the first time.)
>
> Hi Marcus--
>
>> If you look at the structure now, we see that there are some Guides,
>> not doing that much actually, because they are (mostly) just
>> hobby-squeakers.
>
>         Ha! I have to disagree with you there, on both counts. First,
> I'm doing a lot of work making a minimal system. For over a year I've
> asked for discussion and reported progress, and I've made some
> releases.
> While there have been some significant individual exceptions (see, for
> example, the Squat acknowledgements) the general response to all of
> these things has been, er, minimal. :)  From my point of view, it seems
> like people are just sitting back waiting for a finished result. That's
> still tenable; the part that concerns me is the lack of discussion
> about
> desired features and integration timing. I guess the consensus is that
> it's not worth discussing until there is a finished result (which may
> or
> not do what people want :).
>
>         Second, I don't think it's at all clear that paid Squeakers
> contribute more or less than unpaid ones (in any dimension: time,
> energy, code quality, etc.), and the very question is pointless.
> Belittling either group is unconstructive; please don't go there. :)

Sorry for that... I retract all that.

But: We have severe problems wrt. communication. I would like to see
that fixed.
(Maybe I should put a bug report in mantis for that?)

Another thing that you should really keep in mind: How can this
community adopt
Squat at all if there is no culture of making it possible that even
simple stuff gets
added or fixed?

      Marcus