Squat in Squeak 3

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Oct 13 04:18:23 UTC 2004

> > I'm trying to kill the bloat monster. :)
>
> This seems like a worthy goal, though Smalltalk gets less-and-less
> bloated (apparently) as the rest of the world catches up and
> surpasses it bloat-wise.

	It's not just a matter of size, there are several other bad effects.
For example, bloat also makes system structure more complicated and
harder to understand. I think we could get things done faster if things
were simpler. Perhaps it's really a spaghetti monster. :)  There are
also new useful things we could do, like imprinting (see the Squat
mailing list archives).

> You say there's been no response. Does nobody else see this as a
> good thing or necessary thing? Or is it just not as exciting as,
> say, Croquet, so it's tough to feel the community out?

	People generally seem to think it's a worthwhile thing to do, but it's
always something "in the future" and therefore (somehow) planning for
using it can always be deferred. Or something. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist