Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Oct 13 05:33:53 UTC 2004

Technically, there was a 3-week wait for an answer to Marcus' question
on Sept 19 as to whether anyone wanted to step up to handle an
m17n-only release, and Andreas offered on Oct 6.  (Still a long wait,
but not as bad as 2 months.)

Before that, there was semi-consensus that 3.8 would be mostly just a
short m17n release (with maybe a small number of extra things).  Then
during September, the active harvesters at the time (Stephane, Marcus
and to a lesser extent myself) decided an m17n-only release wasn't
worth the effort if we had to manage it ourselves, and started to add
more non-m17n stuff to 3.8, and Marcus asked the question on the list.

So IMHO the m17n-only 3.8 release proposal sounds reasonable, since
that group would manage it.  In theory, it should not affect the
schedule we originally had for the bigger release which includes the
Squeakland updates, except that release will be called 3.9 instead of
3.8.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 11:18 AM, Diego Gomez Deck wrote:

> Who will work on 3.8 release and when?

Andreas/Ned/Yoshiki and others would control the 3.8 update stream.  It
sounds like they want to get it released very soon.

> And who will work on 3.9 release and when?

Same people that were working on 3.8 last month.  (Mostly yourself and
Stephane and Marcus.)  I'm guessing the content will be what Stephane
suggested in his 9/28 "plan for 3.8" post, sounds like it would be
ready by the end of the year. (which does seem a bit quick after 3.8
but that's okay)

(Hopefully there will not be too many write conflicts with the
updates.list file on the updates server... that's where hand-editing
the file can be a bit dangerous. ;) )

- Doug