Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Oct 14 05:03:27 UTC 2004

Hi Doug,

> Same people that were working on 3.8 last month.  (Mostly yourself and
> Stephane and Marcus.)  I'm guessing the content will be what Stephane
> suggested in his 9/28 "plan for 3.8" post, sounds like it would be ready
> by the end of the year. (which does seem a bit quick after 3.8 but that's
> okay)
>
> (Hopefully there will not be too many write conflicts with the
> updates.list file on the updates server... that's where hand-editing the
> file can be a bit dangerous. ;) )

I think we can make this happen without affecting anyone too much. The idea
would be to declare the unstable stream to be the road to 3.9 and
selectively re-order the updates for the "stable" stream. So what you'd get
in the unstable updates would be the 3.8 and 3.9 intermangled whereas in the
stable updates these are well-ordered. I don't see too many problems with
this and it would certainly simplify the situation and avoid any rewriting
of the server's update lists.

Cheers,
 - Andreas