Merging in Monticello and loosing extensions method

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Oct 14 18:49:46 UTC 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 7:49 PM, Samir Saidani wrote:

> I found merging in Monticello a bit difficult. I vaguely remember that
> we have spoken about it with Avi, but I still don't understand the
> interest of "keep" and "reject" buttons, they don't work for me : I
> would like to choose the methods I would like to merge, and those I
> reject, but don't find the right way to do it (This is the expected
> behaviour of the "keep" and "reject" features ?).

No, that's not the expected behavior of those buttons.  They are only
used for conflicts, which will show up in bold at the top of the list.
You can keep or reject conflicting changes,  but all of the other
changes you are expected to take.  There are good reasons for this that
I can get into if you like, but they're a little involved.

> For the moment, I
> select each method and install it one by one thanks to the popup
> menu. Do you know a more efficient way to do it ?

You should do this using the backport facility.  That is, if there are
only some changes you want to incorporate from a particular branch into
the mainline, rather than merging it in and selectively installing, you
should do this:
with the branch loaded, click the Backport button.  Choose an earlier
version that is also an ancestor of the version you want to merge into.
  You will be shown a list of all of the changes that have been made
since that version.  Select only the ones you want to keep (it's a
multiselect list), and then press the Select button.  You now have a
new version with only those changes.  Save it, and then merge that new
version into the mainline.  If there are no conflicts, you can just
press Merge.

Avi