[Newbie] Morhic UI building

Stow, Edward EStow at csu.edu.au
Fri Oct 15 04:09:19 UTC 2004

Hi all

I am planning to build a few utility applications for others in my
workgroup to use.
So I need a fairly standard looking UI one with normal data entry type
widgets etc.

Questions:

1.  Should I use BobsUI? Is the leading contender in the GUI
Construction tools?
( see http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1576 )

-  I am a little concerned that not being able to incorporate ordinary
Morphic objects will be an issue eg GraphMorph would come in handy in my
projects.

2.  What is the status of the Pluggable* morphs?  Should these morphs be
avoided for new work?  I recall reading (somewhere - cant find the
reference) that the Pluggable* morphs are provided for backward
compatibility with MVC.

3.  I started with SystemWindow morph for the application frames.
Are there standard idioms for building the interface with StandardWindow
or other morphs as a base.

The options seem to be :

3.1 Subclass StandardWindow -- MyAppWindow.  This was my first choice,
esp. coming from VisualWorks - subclass ApplicationModel..

3.2  Create Subclass of StringHolder.  Eg Inspector classes.  An
instance of the SystemWindow is created and nearly all contain
Pluggable* morphs that have the subclass (eg the Inspector) as a model.
(See question 2)

This is the most common approach.  But it does seem to rely upon the
Pluggable classes for most of the work.

4.  Event dependency mechanism ---  #triggerEvent, #when:send:to: etc
are these the standard mechanism for the observer pattern.  There are
only 3 senders of #triggerEvent: in the standard 3.6 image.

Or am I missing something obvious?

5.  SystemWindow does not appear to respond to #position: and #extent:
prior to opening the window.  Eg

   w _ SystemWindow labelled: 'Test'.
   w position: 50 at 50.
   w openInWorld

This was very confusing trying to see why this morph behaves differently
from other morphs.  The answer is SystemWindow>>#openInWorld:extent:
resets the extent for the window.

I would consider the change in behaviour for #position: and extent: to
be bugs -  I have a fix -  for almost all cases.   How do I feed that
suggestion back into group for consideration.

That's all for now ...

--
Edward Stow