Class comments!?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Oct 15 19:47:50 UTC 2004

Hi guys!

Just a short reply:

Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:55:50 -0600, John Pfersich <jp1660 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Göran Krampe wrote:
> >>
> >> I mean, sure, some of these can have short comments - but is it just me
> >> getting ANNOYED when there is NO COMMENT AT ALL?!
> >>
> >> IMHO this is NOT the way to increase quality. Don't get me wrong - I
> >> love this stuff getting in and I love and appreciate the work behind it.
> >> I still think that classes without class comments AREN'T COMPLETE and
> >> that if we never bother to set the standard higher it will NEVER get
> >> better.
> >>
> > Oh c'mon Göran, if it was hard to write those classes, it should be
> > hard to use them too. (grin)
>
> I'm anti-comment, myself, with some rare exceptions. Documenting the class
> as a whole might make sense, but comments for each method--particularly in
> Smalltalk--seems, well, redundant.

I am talking about the very bloody least thing: a *class* comment.
Not commenting methods (though I really think they too should have
comments unless they are trivial).

And anyone against class comments is... well. Sorry, but that is just
plain dumb. And I am not even discussing it. Read Tim's reply. :)

regards, Göran