Smalltalk = strongly typed?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Oct 15 20:49:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:24:35 -0400, <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> PS -- and why check it all statically, anyway?  It makes perfect sense
> to investigate type checks that happen at runtime, like Common Lisp
> does.

How about: Why not? If it helps prevent bugs before they happen, that's a
good thing. If it can provide a degree of safety--well, okay, I guess the
formula is "degree of safety > inconvenience & other bad stuff".

I have worked in enough statically typed 3GLs-with-objects-added-on to
come to loathe casts, but in your better designed 3GLs, I admit that it
forces you to think about whether you really want to do what you're doing.