[ENH request] self class.

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Oct 15 21:41:44 UTC 2004

Am 15.10.2004 um 23:14 schrieb lex at cc.gatech.edu:

> Given that you can easily disable the optimization if you need to, I
> don't see the big fuss.  At best, it seems worth removing it if there
> is
> no performance gain.  If there is a performance gain, though, why not
> leave it in?

[1000000 timesRepeat: [Object class]] timeToRun

  With special bytecode:        514
  Without:                                  579

So it's around 10% slower. I don't think this kind of improvement
(for this kind of operation, which is not perfomance-critical)
would make us today decide to add a special bytecode.

So we should remove it to make the system simpler.

     Marcus