Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 20

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 19:01:19 UTC 2004

Andres,

> If the code isn't clear enough to show the relationships between
> classes throughout the system, the problem is the code.  Why should a
> type system save us the trouble of writing clear code that can be
> shared with others and understood by others?  What happened to the
> idea of a system that can be understood by a single person?

Okay, so where precisely did I claim that one would need static types to
write clear code? (for that matter where did I refer to code quality at
all?) And what does this have to do with a single person understanding a
system? Are you claiming that a statically typed system couldn't possibly be
understood by a single person?

> Smalltalk is powerful because it does NOT have many "features".  It
> should be kept that way.

Well you know my opinion on that, don't you?! ;-) Smalltalk ~~ Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas