Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 20

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 16 19:27:43 UTC 2004

>> I do not think that static typing will help because you will need
>> anyway the first point you mention: a domain-meta model
>> on top of which you will build UI....
>
> A domain meta model is what I meant by static typing.

But this is really different. :)
Because you do not have to type it in all the methods you write. And it
does not get in your way all the time.

I think that andreas is dreaming because static type systems are not
user friendly and you get a lot of pain for
a little gain. But he can try to design a good static  type system in
presence of polymorphism and late binding.
I gave up on this idea, this kind of beast never helped me.

Now I like  the idea of gilad bracha on pluggable type system:
The idea in a nutshell is to have OPTIONAL type systemS (ownership,
...) that you can use to browse the code
but that are NOT used at all for checking or defining the language
semantics. Following animorphicSmalltalk.
We are waiting to get a good guy to try this idea on Smalltalk.

I think that gilad has some slides on his web page (in a talk he gave)

Stef