[bug] Squeak freezes.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 17 18:04:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:49:40PM +1300, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> Runaway recursion keeps running away until the image reaches 1gb or the
> memory limit set in the command line. Is it possible to limit the stack
> to, say, 1000 levels of recursion, after which time I get a stack
> overflow error?
>
> I can't interupt runaway recursion; the VM doesn't react to alt-. and
> the only way of stopping and debugging a runaway recursive error is to
> wait until a low space warning pops up. Or am I doing something wrong?

I don't know about limiting the stack depth, although I think I recall some
discussion of it on the list a while ago.

Regardless of that, the alt-. interrupt should get you out of the infinite
recursion. On a Linux system with the a 3.6g1 Unix VM, I can run this:

  "Smalltalk installLowSpaceWatcher; createStackOverflow"

and I can break out of the recursion with alt-. as expected.

Which VM are you using when you have the problem?

Dave