Class comments!?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Oct 17 21:32:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:45:47 +0200, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:

> I have no idea why you think that I have ever argued for commenting each
> line of code. Or perhaps that is not what you are saying - I am not
> sure.

Well, I wasn't naming names.<s> In my initial statement, I simply came
down against commenting EVERY method (attribute setters and getters, e.g.)
and against commenting MOST lines/blocks of code. Then Tim said (after
saying "wrong" about six times<s>) "you
will need to provide clear, meaningful comments for just about every
possible bit of code".

It's entirely possible that none of us disagree on this, really, and we're
simply using our terms differently. For example, I take the phrase "code
comment" very literally and specifically: A comment attached to a
line/block of code. But others clearly include class and method comments
in that phrase.

> I have only spoken about CLASS comments and I have also deliberately NOT
> said anything about the actual class comment itself - I don't care how
> short or long or detailed it is - as long as it IS THERE.

I'm pretty pleased because I think I've improved my understanding of how a
good comment system could work. If I can get the time, I'll look into
implementing something like what's been discussed.