3.7Full, class side initialization and IRCe

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Oct 24 16:53:16 UTC 2004

On Oct 23, 2004, at 12:24 AM, Frank Caggiano wrote:

> IRCe uses class side initialization to set up its directory structure.
> Because its class side initializations aren't done when someone loads
> a image with IRCe already installed (as with 3.7Full)  a walkback
> occurs  on IRCe startup.
>
> The current version on SqueakMap (10.2) addresses this problem.
> Basically it checks for the correct directory structure each time it
> starts up and creates it if it is missing.  (Probably a good thing to
> do in any case.)
>
> If there is no way to get the fixed version into 3.7Full  what would
> be the best way to warn new users and advise them to get the latest
> version from SqueakMap?

This is a general problem that we'll probably have to deal with
somehow... sometimes the packages released with Full are still going to
have bugs, and people should know that if they hit a bug with a given
package, they might want to try installing a newer version from
SqueakMap.

How should we educate people about this?  Probably a comment in the
Welcome Window (starting with 3.8) in the "Full vs Basic" section would
help.  Also, some pointers on the appropriate swiki pages wouldn't
hurt.

- Doug