[SM] Introducing Squeak distros ;)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Oct 25 22:01:39 UTC 2004

Hi folks!

Well, perhaps I just opened Pandora's box :) but I hope not. David
Faught recently asked about adding some kind of categories to SM for
Croquet making it easy to host Croquet specific packages on SM.

So I did that. :) We now have a new top level category in SM called
"Squeak distribution". It currently has two sub categories - "Squeak"
(official distro) and "Croquet". I have also tried to find proper
descriptions and have written a new Swiki page to describe this more
closely (linked from the category):

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3877

Now... finally - to give this some "punch" - I made "Squeak
distribution" mandatory for SM *packages* (not releases). Eh, what does
that mean? - it means that when you create or edit a package you will
have to select a distro that it is meant for. You can also add multiple
distros using the brilliant (irony dripping) web UI by ctrl-clicking in
the "additional categories" listbox.

Of course these categories have no other use than simply categorization,
so don't worry too much. The simple consequence is:

- If you are publishing a package for Squeak, select "Squeak". Might
work in other distros, but that is not your problem. :)
- If you are publishing a package for Croquet, select "Croquet". Can
probably be interpreted as if it is not likely to work in vanilla
Squeak.
- If you are publishing a package that you know works in both official
Squeak and Croquet - select one of them, and add the other using
"additional categories".

And of course - if anyone wants to add a distro (Squeakland? Small-land?
Squat? Fibble-dweeble-rat?) email me and I will do it. Please include a
oneline description and a URL for more info.

regards, Göran "The Bringer Of Confusion, Forks and General Discomfort"
Krampe