Aqua theme

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:44:01 UTC 2004

Hi Pavel,

Nice work!  The screen shot looks good.  While on the topic of themes,
might I mention that a colleague of mine (Ben Schroeder) and myself
have put together a look enhancement we really like in our daily use
of Squeak.

We didn't follow any skinning or theme engine techniques -- how about
your Aqua?  We merely override some SystemWindow methods with our
desired approach.  Additionally we modified the splitter and resize
behavior of SystemWindows to make it operate and look more like the
Apple UI.

You can install the mcz from our local SqueakSource repository
(squeak.saltypickle.com).  The mcz package is called LookEnhancements.
 We also provide a screenshot of the enhancements on the main page for
the SqueakSource (check out:
http://squeak.saltypickle.com/LookEnhancements ).

I think, at the end of the day, I'd really love to see a more polished
look for Squeak out of the box.  I think your Aqua theme, the stuff
Diego is working on, and/or our LookEnhancements all appear to be good
stabs at that -- but I wonder what it takes to get one of these
integrated into the base system?

Kindest Regards,

John

--
If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it. --
Albert Einstein