Unstable Squeak and ZIP handling

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Oct 29 22:28:09 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 11:03 pm, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> tried downloading KomHttpServer from SqueakMap into Squeak.
> It just works in a 3.7/3.8alpha image but not in
> an updated unstable stream image (loaded updates up to
> 6326). 'bad signature 07000017 at position 18686'
> Looks like one of the changeset introduced a difference
> in ZIP handling. Didnt find the time to debug.
>
> Is anyone else able to reproduce this?

In a 6328 image, "download into cache" followed by opening the .zip file in
the ArchiveViewer works OK.

So you might want to do this ("force download", "browse cache", then "install"
from the file list).

However, the SARInstaller doesn't work right (I got the same error).

There are two problems; one is that m17n changes have broken Steven's
extension for the SARInstaller.

The problem is that streams have changed so that if you use the old open or
create methods the assumption is that the streams are text, and will have a
UTF8TextConverter attached that will damage binary data.

So you'll see patterns now like:

 stream := FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'xxx'.
 stream converter: Latin1TextConverter new.
 stream binary.

Perhaps #binary on MultiByteFileStream should also set the textConverter to a
Latin1TextConverter.

Yoshiki, would this break anything?

--
Ned Konz