TimeZoneDatabase V1.2.2 DST conversion bug

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 30 17:26:09 UTC 2004

I doubt that anybody is really worried about this, but just in case,
when I posted the last update for TimeZoneDatabase, I claimed:

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:26:07PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> TimeZoneDatabase V1.2.2
> Integration of the time zone database with Squeak Kernel-Chronology.

 <snip>

> Rather than relying on a static definition of the time zone, expressions
> such as 'DateAndTime now' and 'Time now' will perform a dynamic lookup
> into the time zone database to determine the time zone offset. When daylight
> savings time takes effect, the time zone database will
> automatically compensate for the change.

This is *not* correct. The conversions to and from Squeak DateAndTime are
still not right when the transition takes place. In fact, I'm not sure that
it's even possible to get this right with the current Squeak seconds clock
(although I'm trying to think of a way).

Anyway, just in case anybody is relying on the TimeZoneDatabase conversions
to do a correction for DST this weekend, be aware that you will get some
incorrect conversion results on the evening of the DST transition.

Dave