Big Bang [Re: Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule]

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Sun Oct 31 04:56:12 UTC 2004

Re: Big Bang [Re: Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule]Hi Andreas,

    You wrote:

> Hi Goran,

> Let me try to answer your questions:

[SNIP]

>> 2. Is Tweak meant to be something that can work on top of official
>> Squeak, or is it only targeted at Croquet? Croquet is currently not a
>> "fork" of Squeak, but it may very well turn out to become one. And if
>> the principal developers behind Tweak are the Croqueteers, it may
>> perhaps turn into something Croquet specific.

> That depends on your definition of "Squeak" and "Croquet". Some people take
> the (overly simplified) point of view that Croquet is ultimately about 3D
> environments but let me tell you: It is not. It is ultimately about
> collaboration and communcation and there are many different ways of doing
> this, some of which imply a 3D space (having the vast advantage of providing
> context for the collaboration and a natural model for navigating large
> spaces) and some of which don't. *All* of them, however will require a
> distributed, loosely coupled, secure messaging model of replicated
> computation between (mutually distrusting) objects and peers. Which is what
> we internally understand as "Croquet"; a much broader, much wider ranging
> collaboration architecture that includes many different areas of
> communication, many different classes of devices, many different user
> interfaces. (and yes, we really aren't there by a long shot but then again I
> will want to have something to work on five years from now ;-)

> Given that definition I can say with utter certainty that Tweak is meant to
> run on top of Croquet, with "collaboration builtin".

    Would you please elaborate on this ?

    What is it meant by "collaboration builtin"  and why does Tweak
     (what exactly is Tweak, anyway) depends on builtin collaboration  ?

[SNIP]

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.

    P.S:

    BTW, IIRC, at some stage you (on behalf of the Croqueteers ?)
    promised (?) that Croquet would be available as a package on SM ?