-memory 40m is back [BUG]Array(Object)>>error:

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 4 12:40:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:12:33AM +0200, damien.cassou at laposte.net wrote:
> here is it. I've just typed :
> $ squeak -memory 40m Squeak3.7gamma1.image &
>
> and Squeak print me this error message. So, sorry Goran, the issue is
> not gone !
>
> 3 September 2004 7:08:40 am
>
> VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
> Image: Squeak3.7gamma [latest update: #5985]

[snip]

Hi Damien,

I am not able to reproduce this problem, but I believe that you have
had two separate problems. The first problem was starting SqueakMap,
due to the address pointer problems that show up on your 64 bit Linux
system. Both Goran and I suggested the "memory -40m" setting (funny
that we both picked "40m" completely by coincidence!). This seems to
be a workaround for the first problem.

The second problem, which you are reporting here, is something to
do with Squeak trying to read some binary file as if it were a
startup script. This has to be something to do with the command line
startup (as Goran and I both guessed), but I really don't know what
is wrong.

However, I can reproduce the *symptoms* of your problem with this
command line:

  $ squeak -memory 40m squeak.image squeak.image

This starts Squeak using "squeak.image" as the image file, then
tries to load "squeak.image" as a Smalltalk script file. This produces
exactly the same kind of SqueakDebug.log file that you are getting.

So ... I don't know exactly what's wrong, but maybe this will give
you an idea of something else to check, or maybe someone else will
have an idea ...

The only other thing I can suggest right now is to make sure that
your "squeak" command is really doing what you think it's doing.
If you use the normal Squeak installation, squeak is a binary
executable in /usr/local/bin. If you or someone else has installed
it differently (perhaps as a shell script for example), then it may
not be doing what you expect with the command line.

Dave