Squeak & Linucon?

James Choate jchoate at kraken.open-forge.com
Mon Sep 6 14:26:13 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Steve Sanderson wrote:

> I'm a long-time lurker in the Squeak community, developing a product
> prototype on Squeak (for a startup) and I'm a long-time Austinite.
>
> I'd love to help, promote squeak, etc. Please email me (mail at
> stevesanderson.com).

Thanks, the offer is much appreciated. Just in case there may be others
who are considering helping in any form...

Linucon Homepage: www.lincon.org

Primary Contact: Rob Landley
                 rob at landley.net

Volunteer Contact: Kristie Carter
                   kristie at med.umich.edu

Volunteering List: volunteering at linucon.org

Panelist: convention at linucon.org

If you sent any traffic related to helping with Open Forge/Hangar 18
please put "Open Forge:" in the title so it can be easily sorted.

Steve: Would you be interested in doing a 45m + 15m Q/A on Squeak? Also,
       would you be available to spend any time at our table talking to
       people about Squeak? Can you burn some CD's of Squeak and possibly
       put together a 1-2pg flyer to go with them? Open Forge has a small
       office with a seperate conference room that seats approx. 10ppl.
       We make this available for use on Tue/Wed nights from 6pm onward.
       We do ask that people contact us before attending the first time
       So we can give them directions and explain how to get into the
       building after hours. We also run our own servers and can make
       mailing lists, irc, web pages, drive space, etc. available.

My main interest is science/technology/society, I am not a computer geek.
I see them as a tool. That said, I've been pursuing electronics and
computers actively since about 1969. My main interest with respect to Open
Forge and Hangar 18 is to enable others to carry out their
dreams/projects. If I can make some money along the way by doing service
and development so much the better. My dream with respect to the big
picture is to build another science/technology museum here in Austin. I
was a founding member of Discovery Hall here in 1984-1991. If I can build
a active Open Source technology group here I'd consider that a first step.
That is the purpose of Hangar 18. It is also my hope that I can get others
in widely seperated communities to participate by building either other
H18 groups or their own who interact with H18. One of my current projects
for example is to build up some distributed mailing lists (ie no central
server or subscriber list) much like we did with the Cypherpunks mailing
list.

 -- --

  Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
  512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)                            help at open-forge.com

  Hangar 18          Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
  512-451-7087                               http://open-forge.org/hangar18

  James Choate    512-451-7087     ravage at ssz.com    jchoate at open-forge.com