Incorporating OmniBrowser (was Re: Lessons learnt from been an integrator)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Sep 9 15:09:13 UTC 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 4:51 PM, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> At 17:20 +0200 2004.8.26, Avi Bryant wrote:
>>> I have to say, in the last few weeks I've started using Monticello
>>> for all
>>> my development work, and it is fantastic. Reminds me of using Store
>>> in
>>> VisualWorks, although of course it is missing a few features.
>>
>> Thanks.  It would be useful to know which features you're missing the
>> most.
>
> What I have found missing is support in the Browser.  The Browser
> should, in  my view, have teh notions of a currently active set of
> Packages (which should show up to be selected from when I create a new
> protocol) and currentPackage into which class extensions and
> modifications of existing classes are put by default.
>
> Without this, I find that I forget to put my changes in to any
> package, or into the right package, or into a spelling error.
> Fortunately, the changeset keeps track of the changes that I forget
> ;-)

Which brings the thread very neatly back to "incorporating
OmniBrowser"...
Yes, browser support would be great.  That seems like an obvious and
easy extension to OB, once it's ready for inclusion in the image.
For the meantime, it would probably be pretty easy to hack the existing
browser to have a "new extension" method as well as "new protocol",
which would let you choose from the list of active packages, and put
the * in for you.  Maybe I'll look at doing this in Camp Smalltalk this
weekend.

Avi