How to install squeak in school network setting

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sat Sep 11 15:48:34 UTC 2004

Am 11.09.2004 um 13:56 schrieb Christian Mascher:

> Putting all four files into every individual students home-directory
> would obviously work, but then I would have to give them much more
> disk space, which I feel should not be necessary, as the bulk of the
> image and the .exe-file are the same for everybody

The VM (.exe) and sources (SqueakV3.sources) are read-only and can be
shared. What you need for every student is an image and changes file
(these always go together). The image is not the same for everyone
because it is a snapshot of the "living" object memory, and the changes
are obviously different.

You can reduce the size of the changes file, however, which tracks the
changes in source code relative to the sources file. So just do a
"Smalltalk condenseSources", which moves all changes to the sources
file, and updates the source pointers in the image correspondingly. The
resulting sources, image, and changes (which are only a few bytes after
the process) you can put onto the server. Every student then needs to
copy image+changes into her directory.

And out of curiosity: What school are you from? Also you might want to
join the German Squeak mailinglist (see squeak.de).

- Bert -