Incorporating OmniBrowser (was Re: Lessons learnt from been an integrator)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Sep 12 10:10:42 UTC 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2004, at 4:23 AM, danielv at tx.technion.ac.il wrote:
>
>> If you release (an alpha) in the next day, we can test it at
>> CampSmalltalk and maybe help along.
>
> Ok, this isn't quite a full release, as I haven't posted on SqueakMap
> and don't have time to figure out SAR packaging tonight, but here it
> is. You'll need Monticello loaded to run the tests.
>
> http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/OB-Standard-cwp.17.mcz

Colin,

We loaded this here in Camp Smalltalk and took it for a drive.  Updates
didn't work at all, at first - we had to change "OBBrowser
allInstancesDo:" to "OBBrowser allSubInstancesDo:".  And the text pane
doesn't seem to update at all without manually re-selecting the current
method (which also means that it doesn't complain with the thick red
line if you have concurrent edits in different browsers).  Apart from
that, it's been very solid, and seems to include all the menu items,
d'n'd, and so on that I would expect - it now feels like a finished
browser rather than a proof of concept.

One other complaint that came up is that the enabled/disabled status of
the buttons isn't easy enough to tell at a glance.  However, I think
the new way they work was a good choice - having the button row
constantly changing underfoot was disconcerting, and this makes the UI
feel much more stable.  For some reason the chasing browsers still
discombobulate me a bit in that same way, but I'm not sure how to fix
that, and it probably just takes getting used to.

It would also be great if the shortcut keys (alt-m, alt-n, alt-b, etc)
could be (optionally?) modified to bring up the OB instead of the
standard tools.  Otherwise it's really hard to stay in OB for long.  If
that can be hacked in easily, I think I'll try adopting this as my main
browser and see how I do.

So, great work, and I look forward to seeing it on SqueakMap.

Avi