Incorporating OmniBrowser (was Re: Lessons learnt from been an integrator)

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Sep 12 15:42:58 UTC 2004

On Sep 12, 2004, at 5:10 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Colin,
>
> We loaded this here in Camp Smalltalk and took it for a drive.
> Updates didn't work at all, at first - we had to change "OBBrowser
> allInstancesDo:" to "OBBrowser allSubInstancesDo:".  And the text pane
> doesn't seem to update at all without manually re-selecting the
> current method (which also means that it doesn't complain with the
> thick red line if you have concurrent edits in different browsers).
> Apart from that, it's been very solid, and seems to include all the
> menu items, d'n'd, and so on that I would expect - it now feels like a
> finished browser rather than a proof of concept.

Ok, updates are now fixed - each browser subscribes to the SCN, and
refreshes via morphic stepping.

http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/OB-Standard-cwp.18.mcz

> One other complaint that came up is that the enabled/disabled status
> of the buttons isn't easy enough to tell at a glance.  However, I
> think the new way they work was a good choice - having the button row
> constantly changing underfoot was disconcerting, and this makes the UI
> feel much more stable.  For some reason the chasing browsers still
> discombobulate me a bit in that same way, but I'm not sure how to fix
> that, and it probably just takes getting used to.

Yeah, I agree. I think what's needed is different colours. On my list.

> It would also be great if the shortcut keys (alt-m, alt-n, alt-b, etc)
> could be (optionally?) modified to bring up the OB instead of the
> standard tools.  Otherwise it's really hard to stay in OB for long.
> If that can be hacked in easily, I think I'll try adopting this as my
> main browser and see how I do.

Another good point. I'll investigate that too.

I'm moving in the next few days, so I might not be able to post to SM
soon, but I expect to move to beta in the next week or so.

Colin