How do I get the Scaling Halo

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Sep 13 20:44:48 UTC 2004

Hi, Darius,

Three other points of clarification here...

(1)  If the morph is a SketchMorph, then shift-resize does indeed
preserve the original aspect ratio.  I assumed that was what you were
asking about, though evidently not ;-)

(2)  Secondly, note that if a morph is "flexed", i.e. if it has been
rotated (a sure sign of this state is that the yellow resize handle
has turned to something more like pale-orange) then resizing with
that pale-orange resize handle will also be aspect-ratio preserving.

Thus, a standard, if obscure, way to get aspect-ratio-preservation as
you resize any morph is:

-- Rotate the original object, slightly, with the blue handle.

-- Then resize it, again only slightly, with the (now pale-orange)
resize handle.

-- Now rotate the resized guy back to its original zero orientation.
Since the resulting morph is still "flexed," note that the resize
handle remains pale-orange.

-- The resulting morph will preserve aspect-ratio as you resize it
with its still-pale-orange resize handle.

I've always thought this to be pretty strange, but that's the way
it's always been, since the dawn of generic rotation in Morphic
nearly seven years ago :-)

(3)  Note, finally, that manipulating #scaleFactor in an object's
*viewer* (found in the "geometry" category,) or in a script, will
also preserve aspect ratio for any morph.

Hope one or more of these observations is helpful...

Cheers,

  -- Scott