Some thoughts 2/3: Preparing 3.9

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Sep 15 19:32:56 UTC 2004

I believe that Monticello needs to be in Basic for the reasons which
Daniel states below.  (Monticello should be trackable as an in-image
package, as Goran preferred.)

In my earlier message I was probably stretching things a bit to say
that there was "agreement" that Monticello should go in 3.8, but there
wasn't widespread disagreement. ;)  Sometimes you need to say that
something will likely be going in before you get the real arguments
against the idea. ;)

Awhile ago, I remember one argument against including MC was that the
base system should be agnostic regarding versioning systems (and
changeset-like formats), and that adding something like this tends to
infect the rest of the system so that everything is dependent on it.  I
only partly agree with this.  I don't think the system should be any
more dependent on MC than it is dependent on ChangeSets, for example.
E.g. if something like Browser is inappropriately dependent on
ChangeSet, it should not be dependent on MC either.  But I sort of
think of MC as a better alternative to ChangeSets (with versioning),
and it's okay for parts of the base system such as the update stream to
rely on it, since we can get big benefits from it.

- Doug