CampSmalltalk: Unstable stream opened for 3.8a

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Sep 15 23:14:47 UTC 2004

Hi guys!

I am reading but don't have much time to post. Anyway, first of all -
great job on 3.7. :)

Regarding new process etc - I just want to reiterate my feeling that one
very important thing for us to get into the water is the TFNR idea:
staking out the image and getting stewards assigned. Note my words -
"staking out" doesn't equal breaking out.

Yes, I know I stalled TFNR etc... But I still think *that* is the
*crucial* piece to get Squeak development parallellized.

In short - we need to move over to package oriented development with
dependencies and all that. And the first step is a small one - to get a
single area of the image marked with a PI pushed out into the stream
(somehow) and to register that "package" on SM with that PI and get some
maintainers for it.

Now, given that my time is currently 99.8% Maya and 0.2% email reading
over a modem - I would love if someone stepped up and said - hmmm, ok,
getting a PI out into the stream... ok, needs some form of Registry in
PackageInfo... and which area of the image to pick then? Perhaps
"Collections"? whatever... ok, couldn't be that hard - and then "just do
it". :) And when we have done ONE then the second one is easy, and the
third.

Remember - it gives us a very important but simple thing: A person
responsible for a well defined part of the image. And "well defined"
doesn't have to mean "perfectly outlined" - it just means that the
border is sharp, even if it is in fact not totally correct. :)

regards, Göran