Some thoughts 3/3: About some look changes

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 16 18:57:11 UTC 2004

If we only have one person driving ahead on look and feel, then by all
means let them at it!  The main things is that both programming and
etoy-like things are still possible.  Diego, if there are any areas of
existing functionality you are unsure about, and would like people to
test in particular, be sure to ask!

By the way, how about this very simple addition: include a "Scratch"
flap.  I see that many people never figure out how to use flaps for
themselves, because they appear to be provided only by the system.  A
"Scratch" flap would be empty, global, and would let people drag things
on and off.  Maybe having it there would get people to use them.
Additionally, it's a real time saver anyway; I find myself recreating
such a flap in image after image.

Along these lines, it is also worth thinking about a Scratch class
category, a Scratch project, and a Scratch anything else that we want
new users to play around with.

Just ideas though.  It is great that someone is taking a good look at
this, and I look forward to what comes of it.  It is especially nice to
hear morphic things being given thought, such as the context menus and
the red halo handle.  Sometimes when people talk about UI improvements
they seem to want to make a clone of Microsoft Office.

-Lex