Squeak on a > 400 MHz Pocket PC?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Sep 21 15:44:04 UTC 2004

Ahoy!

In the last couple months, we've seen some big 'n bad Pocket PCs come out:
we're talking about VGA screens and fast CPSs, from 500-624 MHz.  Has
anyone had the chance to try out Squeak on them? How does the current PPC
VM do with the big screen- does it take advantage of it?

Also, if there's anyone here who is using Squeak on one of these faster
PPCs, as always, I'd love to hear about the tinyBenchmark numbers you get.
:)

One question for Yoshiki or whoever is maintaining the PPC VM these days:
is there still that annoying problem with only being able to use a 12 MB
image?  I've had a couple folks ask me lately about what PDA to get for
running Squeak.  In a lot of ways, the Zaurus still rules- with its
ability to have even a huge (60 MB?) image and a VGA screen... But these
new PPCs with a lot faster CPUs could be the new recommendation from me-
provided they can use the whole VGA screen and can open up larger images
with no problems...

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere