Unix Semaphores in Squeak?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 23 10:24:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:40:31AM -0400, Daniel B. Faken wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Has anyone implemented an interface to Unix (SYSV) semaphores within
> Squeak?  I looked in AIO and OSProcess, but they seem to just use Squeak
> Semaphores and Unix Signals.
>   (I've implemented a rudimentary interface to SYSV shared-memory, but if
> anyone has a nice version that would be great)

Hi Daniel,

I doubt that anyone has done this, but I could be wrong. I know that I didn't
put it in the OSProcessPlugin.

If I remember right, the SYSV ipc calls all use integer parameters and have
integer return values, so it would be straightforward to make a plugin.

If you are comfortable doing plugins, I think that the quickest way for you
to get this done would be to just add some more primitives to UnixOSProcessPlugin.
Once you get it working, move your new stuff into its own plugin (SysvIpcPlugin),
and put it on Squeak Map. That's more or less how I did the AIO plugin.

Just curious, why would you want to use Unix semaphores from Squeak?

Dave