[ANN] Unstable Squeak

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Sep 25 13:54:39 UTC 2004

On Sep 25, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2004, at 11:03 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>> There were some discussions and attempts to see how we could use MC
>> instead of CS for the
>> update stream. But now the result are not clear to me. It would be
>> nice if the interested parties
>> could define a simple agenda and prepare some experiments so that we
>> could have a bit more
>> visibility for the future. Daniel, Avi? Others?
>
> I've been working on a simple experiment along these lines.  More
> details when it's ready.

Ok, here goes.  From the article I just posted to Squeak People :

"I'd like to announce Unstable Squeak: an experimental fast-moving,
community-based developer-oriented distribution of Squeak. Unstable
Squeak leverages Squeak Source, Squeak People, and Monticello to try to
present an alternative model for incoporating fixes and enhancements
from the community with a minimum of process.

  Unstable Squeak is an experiment in two parts. As a social experiment,
it's an attempt to use trust networks and community dynamics, rather
than a lengthy review process, to ensure the quality of contributions.
The Unstable Squeak repository is open for anyone to commit changes to,
and any of a large group of developers (those with Journeyer status or
above on Squeak People) may "bless" these changes to be immediately
included in the Unstable Squeak distribution. As a technical
experiment, it's an attempt to build the infrastructure required to
support this more ad-hoc approach to development, using the Monticello
versioning system as a base. Hopefully, the technology built for
Unstable Squeak will eventually be refined to the point where it can be
adopted by mainstream Squeak as well."

Read the rest of the article here, and let me know your thoughts (or
better yet, just participate in the experiment):
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/39.html

Cheers,
Avi