Squeak on Linux/AMD64

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Sep 26 18:01:49 UTC 2004

Am 25.09.2004 um 15:16 schrieb Lukas Renggli:

> Hi Dan & Ian,

Well, I guess both of them do not follow the list as closely as you and
me ;-) It's usually better to cc: them.

> I'm would like to run Squeak on a AMD64 linux box, but neither the
> pre-compiled 32-bit binary

Works for me out, of the box on a vanilla Fedora Core 2 (64 bit) on
Athlon64. You need the 32 bit libs, of course. Fedora was so wise as to
leave 32 bit libs in /usr/lib and just add /usr/lib64 for new 64 bit
libs. Other distros have different policies, but you should be able to
get it to run with a bit of work.

> nor to compile it from source works.

In Fedora, even though the normal libs are installed, the development
libs are not. It's much easier to compile in 32 bits. I've heard other
people compile and run their 32 bit code in a chroot.

- Bert -