Proxy settings as preferences

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Sep 27 14:31:26 UTC 2004

Hi German,

> Sure, it's a good idea to use the proxy setting as a preference, but my
> goal is to develop a very simple type of "control center" to use by
> final users in my apps. Don't sure if a final user might deal with all
> the Preferences, but I'm sure that if the user see the ui already open
> to set the proxy and Kom services, might be more easy to understand.

Just store the proxy settings as preferences, but use your own ui to
interact with them[*].  In this way you can use a UI that will adjust to
your needs, but also it will allow experienced users to access the proxy
settings from a Browser (besides you get all the other Preference
features like persistence (the save to disk option) and project localness).

But the point you mention about an end user is a very interesting one.
For that kind of user I want to develop an special mode of work of the
PreferenceBrowser.

This feature will allow developers to re-use the PreferenceBrowser
interface to manage their settings instead of doing its owns. This would
work by customizing what categories and preferences to show and making
possible to invoke the Preference Browser as a modal dialog from your
application.

I don´t think this is hard to do but is far away on my priority list at
the moment.

*- See at the class Preferences the "add" and "get/set" method
categories. Instead of storing the proxy settings as instance variables
use getters/setters that will use Preferences to get/set the values.

Regards,
Hernán