Millisecond clock resolution for DateAndTime now

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 28 18:33:07 UTC 2004

Brent Vukmer <brent.vukmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like Tim's proposal.  I'd actually like two primitives that fill in
> a date/time object, one for the OS and one for NTP.   It seems like it
> would be helpful to have "VMTime now" and "NTPTime now" available...

That's an interesting idea.  Could you elaborate please?  In particular:

	1. What applications do you have in mind?

	2. How many platforms do you think will be able to make this
distinction?

	3. Is "NTPTime now" is a sufficiently rich interface to NTP, for the
uses described in #1, or do there need to be some parameters in this
message?

Also, please keep in mind that NTP is based on UDP, and thus an
alternative design is to implement it entirely at the image level.  Most
Internet protocols that Squeak uses have been handled this way, e.g.
SMTP and POP, but we don't necessarily have to keep on doing things that
way.

-Lex