the plan for 3.8 (from marus and stef)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 28 14:34:59 UTC 2004

hi guys

We think that this is important that we build some plans for 3.8. As we
already mentioned it, if someone needs
urgently 3.8, he should do it.  We (marcus doug and me) would like to
rest a bit and get some real stuff done.

We discuss with diego and others about a good date and the idea would
be to have 3.8beta the 15th of november
and 3.8 ready for 15 of december. (no gamma phase this time). We lose
too much time with that. Just some tentative images.

In addition to m17n,  what we would like to see with this version:
	- services (so please have a look and comment)
	- shout (already ready to go as package)
	- OmniBrowser (with refactorings :))
	- refactorings integrated with services in all the browers
	- a lot of fixes (so please continue to review and give your point of
view!)
	- a lot of tests we need more!!! Really everybody can write tests.
	- excellent diego look
	- more AST and compiler cleans (I should check with marcus): the AST
of RB + visitor is already in so consider
	to see if you can use it for your tool.
	- new preference browser
	- clean of the system dictionary (see my next email)
	- SM20 with configuration (yes yes)
	- we are thinking having SmallLand as full image but we will see if
diego has still the steam for that.
	But indeed now the unstable stream idea is really helping us.

I certainly forgot stuff. But this is important that we have a clear
date in mind, so
as you may have noticed the harvesting is going much faster than ever
and ned is not
back yet :)

Again we would need a Etoy and multimedia guide. I repeat We need a
Etoy guide and Multimedia guide.
I suggest the cool ones in the community to try SqueakUnstable (which
is quite stable since now).

Stef