the plan for 3.8 (from marus and stef)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 28 17:54:18 UTC 2004

On 28 sept. 04, at 19:07, Michael Rueger wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Ok so we agree on that list. Because this is more than fixing m17n
>
> Almost. After reading your SystemDictionary proposal I would vote for
> postponing that as it is a *very* deep system change.

In fact not really because if we do it fast the end user or other
programmer will not see it, while if we do it over a long period
of time then we will have to change to point to the right place for a
temporary moment. The point to have Smalltalk pointing
to SmalltalkImage current and merging SmalltalkImage and
SystemDictionary we would keep all the old but deprecated methods.

But you are right that we should postpone it, so may be for us just
introducing namespace would be enough to let us work.

> I could be persuaded to have OB included :-)

I do not really understand what you are implying: what do you want in
the list because your email was really not clear?

We would like to suggest that we close 3.8 asap and only allow fixes.
There are too many things that are broken through recent stuff,
especially m17n related.
E.g., for me personally I still need to fully adapt Yaxo, Jabber and
even some of the network code to m17n.

So our list:

> In addition to m17n,  what we would like to see with this version:
>     - services (so please have a look and comment)
>     - shout (already ready to go as package)
>     - a lot of fixes (so please continue to review and give your point
> of view!)
>     - excellent diego look
>     - new preference browser
>     - clean of the system dictionary (see my next email)
>     - SM20 with configuration (yes yes)

Did we mention fixes? ;-)
And tests are always welcome, not just for 3.8 ;-)

All other items are pretty deep system changes and IMHO would require a
longer testing phase.