3D acceleration.

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Sep 28 21:18:15 UTC 2004

 "Alan Grimes" <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> Now that I finally have some level of hardware 3D acceleration working
> at all on my linux computer, Istarted to look at wheather Squeak is
> able to access it.
I am on windows and never had a Linux, but I will try my best
to share my experience.
> Attempting to toggle hardware acceleration with the menu checkbox was
> ineffectual.
I think that "menu checkbox" means the item on the top left
of the B3DSceneExplorerMorph. That checkbox is labelled
"Enable hardware acceleration". Right?
On Squeak for Windows, we have a menu item (in the window menu)
"VM preferences" and a submenu "Display and Sound" with three
items. It is important to check "Use OpenGL (instead of D3D)"
Hardware acceleration needs OpenGL; it will not work when you
use D3D.

When you try Hardware acceleration with the rotating cube,
the effect is not very impressive (IMHO). For more
complicated scenes, I found hardware acceleration more
impressive. When you use hardware acceleration on a
Windows PC, the colors of the scene change, this is a
well-known bug, but also an indication that hw acceleration
works.

> Now I have these questions:
>
> 1. On what platforms is hardware 3D acceleration supported?
You need an OpenGL driver. Most modern operating systems
have one, but if you need one, you will find it on
http://www.opengl.org/

Greetings, Boris