Making sense of VM test coverage.

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 19:41:57 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes writes:
 > I have been taking a class in software engineering, One of the only
 > useful lessons to come out of the course is about test coverage.
 >
 > So I compiled my VM with full test coverage (dude). =P
 >
 > I fired up this VM and ran the full SM tests with the benchmarks.
 >
 > When I looked at the output, I found that most source lines had been
 > executed so many times the counters rolled over!

I have a test suite that covers most of the interpreter fairly
systematically. It is currently targeted at Exupery but if you
make the compile methods null ops then it would test the interpreter.

Most of it tests each individual byte code going through all the
edge cases.

It's available via SqueakMap and SqueakSource.

Bryce