3D acceleration.

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Sep 30 07:51:04 UTC 2004

Am 29.09.2004 um 00:53 schrieb Alan Grimes:

>> On Squeak for Windows, we have a menu item (in the window menu)
>> "VM preferences" and a submenu "Display and Sound" with three
>> items. It is important to check "Use OpenGL (instead of D3D)"
>> Hardware acceleration needs OpenGL; it will not work when you
>> use D3D.
>
> There is nothing like that Linux.

Of course not. Didn't you see my previous message?

> I generally run it in framebuffer
> mode despite the fact that the framebuffer driver constrains me to
> 640x480x8....=(

There is no hardware-accelerated lib for fbuffer, AFAIK.

> Or with the TWM for X'doze. -- hardly any menus at all....

Don't need no stinkin' TWM either. I just run Squeak fullscreen from a
.xsession file =)

> The OpenGL libraries, or at least _SOME_ 3D libraries are working and
> they work extremely well for "tuxracer". -- to within the limits of
> Linux's inexhaustable suckeyness....

"some" 3D libraries won't cut it, you need OpenGL. Or extend
B3DAcceleratorPlugin to use "some" 3D library. But since "some" 3D
library is most likely using a software renderer you wouldn't win
anything over the Balloon3D engine, which is precisely that, and
optimized towards Squeak's needs.

> The card isn't very impressive but then there isn't much that's fully
> supported by the flaming kernel.

NVIDIA's drivers work pretty well. FireGL used to be fine, but since
ATI layed off the German driver developers not much has been done in
that department.

> I am supprised that the work on this 3D stuff stopped years ago, I
> thought it was an active area of research.

Development didn't stop, it moved on. Everyone interested in 3D is
working on Croquet now.

- Bert -