Making sense of VM test coverage.

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 19:12:09 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse writes:
 > So can you explain to me what is "but if you
 > make the compile methods null ops then it would test the interpreter."
 > How much would this require?

The quick and dirty method would take about five minutes. Just
remove the bodies of the methods TestExuperyPlugin>>compile*.
They are in the Misc category.

To make the tests work well would involve refactoring them and
removing those that rely on a plugin. I've got some extra primitives
so I can check that the garbage collector's remembered set has been
updated.

There are a few compiler specific tests. They verify that compiled
code is being run instead of interpreted code. They would need to be
deleted.

To do it properly would involve thinking a little because I'd like to
use the same basic suite for both the interpreter and the compiler.
It would also involve cleaning them up a little. That would be
worthwhile if they were going into the image.

I do plan on cleaning them up. I'll email once we've moved house
and I'm ready to start preparing the tests for submission.

Bryce