Smalltalk/JVM

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Fri Apr 1 15:23:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

A french company made a kind of middleware that bridge Java and
Smalltalk. You can have applications from both worlds collaborating.

See www.birdtechnology.net
The Smalltalk part of it is freely available on squeaksource.com

Noury
Le 1 avr. 05, à 15:37, Mike a écrit :

> Oh my God yes, this is fantastic.  I've been doing java for years
> now, its my bread and butter.  I have been learning smalltalk over
> the last 4 or 5 months so far I love it and it would be my
> language of choice for any new projects I am starting.  But there
> are excellent libraries in Java that I miss - Lucene springs to
> mind - so if you are telling me that I can have the best of both
> worlds, I would pull your arm off in my haste to get it.  And I
> suspect there are other developers in the same boat.  I also
> suspect that its not a case of "compile and go" i.e. would I be
> able to compile Lucene java code and call it just like that from
> smalltalk code?
>
> Take care,
> Mike.
>
> Receive and share.
>
> On Fri Apr 01 04:16:08 PST 2005, "Welch, Ronald P (US SSA)"
> <ronald.p.welch at baesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there is definitely interest in this. Dynamic languages
>> on the JVM are a hot topic of discussion right now, and to
>> my way of thinking anyway, Smalltalk is the poster child of
>> dynamic languages.
>>
>> I am curious though. What do you mean by the statement that
>> development is done in a "surrogate" Smalltalk environment?
>>
>> Ron
>> ----------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-========oOo========-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>> =----------
>> mailto:Ronald.P.Welch at baesystems.com
>> Phone:(607)770-3701
>> BAE SYSTEMS Controls            600 Main St Johnson City, NY
>> 13790-1888

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org