UI benchmarks and preference settings

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Apr 2 21:29:24 UTC 2005

I like the functionality of the horizontal scrollbar in the list panes,
but I have to admit that it does cause a significant performance hit.

I thought most of the slowdown in 3.9alpha (when opening browsers etc)
was due to the antialiased fonts, but I guess the horizontal scrollbars
are a bigger factor.  Maybe with some MessageTally investigation
there's a way to speed those up.

Anyway, I tried fiddling with various preferences while running the
following benchmark:

Time millisecondsToRun: [10 timesRepeat: [Browser fullOnClass: Browser
selector: openBrowser]]

To test, start with a fresh image, open one workspace. (Also open one
browser first to select green "#Browser" type and then close the
browser.)  Do a print-it on the benchmark, and then do it again twice,
leaving the extra windows open.  (How many windows are open has a huge
effect on performance.)  Tested on a Mac G5 - 1.8GHz.

Here are the results I saw.  ("1-10" means opening the first 1 to 10
browsers, "11-20" is the next 10, etc)

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6599 (alwaysHideHScrollbar is off at this update
level):
1-10: 12994ms
11-20: 18554ms
21-30: 23814ms

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6599 with text/list/code fonts set to Accuny-10:
1-10: 10252ms
11-20: 13857ms
21-30: 18047ms

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6605 (alwaysHideHScrollbar is on at this update
level):
1-10: 6698ms
11-20: 11627ms
21-30: 17238ms

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6605 with roundedWindowCorners turned off:
1-10: 6671ms
11-20: 7976ms
21-30: 3704ms   !! (probably because of window placement)

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6605 with text/list/code fonts set to Accuny-10:
1-10: 5980ms
11-20: 9345ms
21-30: 13153ms

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6605 with reverseWindowStagger turned off:
1-10: 6471ms
11-20: 11486ms
21-30: 16859ms

fresh Squeak3.9alpha-6605 with all three above settings:
1-10: 3584ms
11-20: 3318ms
21-30: 3325ms

So, bottom line, if you change these particular preferences in
3.9alpha, opening a browser is about eight times as fast if you already
have a couple dozen windows open.

Anyway, there needs to be a balance between performance and appearance.
  Probably some significant performance gains could be had by fiddling
with MessageTally and improving some Morphic behavior.

- Doug