Are what the janitors are doing, what needs to be done?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Apr 2 23:36:03 UTC 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:12 PM, Peace Jerome wrote:

> Remember my idea of the proper goal is
> getting things
> 	1) fixed and
> 	2) included in the image with
> 	3) the least amount of effort on everyones part.

That sounds about right.

> Also my perceptions have grown somewhat. Having
> someone who can direct traffic
> and educate bug reporters to make better reports would
> assist these goals.
>
> I still hold that the problem solvers need to be there
> else all you’ve got is an on ramp with no highway.

Well, we may end up doing something like that.  For now, if we have at
most two groups (the Janitors & the Harvesters) we should be able to
get something done.  Probably they will need to work together anyway.

>  (See the
>> helpful "How to Report a New Squeak Issue" doc which
> Ken added to the
>> Mantis docs page.)
>
> I couldn’t find this. Where should I look?
> I tried the doc link on mantis but that only gets
> general doc there is no project
> specific doc.

You have to select the "Squeak" or "Squeak Packages" project in the
upper-right menu in Mantis first.  Then select Docs/Project
Documentation.  Right now Mantis is being shared with Croquet, tweak,
squeakland, etc, and this document doesn't apply to those projects.

>> Eventually, hopefully all of steps 1 & 2 from the
>> original Harvesting Process:
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3152
>>
>> But step 3 from the Harvesting Process
> (incorporation) is more
>> complicated, and will be affected by the process of
> splitting the base
>> image into packages by the Packages team.
>
> Can you be more specific. Do fixes wait until packages
> are split?

No, but we might have more people fixing things when they are assigned
to maintain specific areas (packages) in the image.

> Will each package have someone who can commit fixes to
> it?

Yes, that's the idea.  Or preferably, a few people per package, with
one lead maintainer.

> And what happens when a fix spans several packages???

That's one of the big questions.  My solution would be, after
partitioning, to simply keep all of the (Basic) packages in the base
image for a while, at least, and maintain them via the update stream.
That way you can update several packages at once.  Still, we eventually
need to come up a way to broadcast or announce/submit changes to
multiple packages if some of them are external.  (Actually, Ned's
changeset/packageinfo enhancements may help with this.)

- Doug