Database options was (Re: My first Magma experience ...)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Sun Apr 3 05:41:20 UTC 2005

It seems that for productions sites with larger database needs that
Relational databases are currently preferred. At least this is how I
interpret what I've read. Please feel free to correct.

The primary options of those it seems are PostgreSQL 7 and MySQL 4.

I have considered learning PostgreSQL but 8 is the current version and
from my understanding is not currently supported.

I also think that SQLite 3 looks interesting and much more along the
lines for comparison with Magma and GOODS. It is small, embeddable, and
to my understanding performs very well.

I would think that with a quality driver for SQLite3 that we could write
a good OO frontend to storing objects in SQLite3. And/or provide people
with the option to access SQLite3 at its normal relational level or via OO.

Am I off base or mistaken? Am I alone? Anybody else interested in SQLite?

What kind of effort would a driver/plugin for SQLite3 take?

But what kind of bounty would someone take to be motivated to write such?

Ideas, opinions?
Just exploring my options.

Jimmie