Database options was (Re: My first Magma experience ...)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Apr 4 11:49:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:50:41 +0200, Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no>
wrote:

> ODMG (and Magma) seem to block application evolution by storing the
> binary objects so that class definitions can't change. It will be
> difficult to use them in critical applications if this is correct.

Depends on the serialization format used. Most OODBMS'es have their own,
and most of the time it's all handled in Smalltalk anyway, so easy enough
to adjust. All of the serialization formats I encountered so far have
calls to Object/Object class that allow you to mess around with the bytes
stored and retrieved, adding versioning would be reasonably simple.