Making the world safe for Pure OO

Peter Suk peter.kwangjun.suk at mac.com
Thu Apr 7 15:02:40 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd talk about my new project here, since there is a good
chance that someone might be interested in it.  I'm planning to put
Ruby on top of Smalltalk VMs.  Ruby and Smalltalk are very similar
under the covers, so Smalltalk VMs are a very good match for the
language.  This will give Ruby a much faster execution environment, VMs
which are capable of incremental garbage collection, a wonderful
debugger which will let them modify methods, a "workspace" window, a
visual "inspect", and a readily accessible meta-level which will allow
Rubyists to readily modify their own language.

My strategy for doing this involves writing a Ruby parser (or, rather,
translating an existing one from Java to Ruby) then enabling a
Smalltalk object to request parsing of Ruby code into an AST from a
Ruby program outside the image.  We then reify the AST inside the image
and use it to compile Ruby methods into bytecodes.  Once this is done,
we can then compile the external Ruby parser and bring it into the
image.

If anyone is interested, please drop me a line.  But in particular, I
am wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Joe Bacanskas.
(Gemstone is one of the VMs I'd like to target at first.)

--Peter

--
There's neither heaven nor hell, save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice, save what we grant each other.