Making the world safe for Pure OO

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Apr 8 09:01:49 UTC 2005

Peter Suk a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> I thought I'd talk about my new project here, since there is a good
> chance that someone might be interested in it.  I'm planning to put Ruby
> on top of Smalltalk VMs.  Ruby and Smalltalk are very similar under the
> covers, so Smalltalk VMs are a very good match for the language.  This
> will give Ruby a much faster execution environment, VMs which are
> capable of incremental garbage collection, a wonderful debugger which
> will let them modify methods, a "workspace" window, a visual "inspect",
> and a readily accessible meta-level which will allow Rubyists to readily
> modify their own language.
>
> My strategy for doing this involves writing a Ruby parser (or, rather,
> translating an existing one from Java to Ruby) then enabling a Smalltalk
> object to request parsing of Ruby code into an AST from a Ruby program
> outside the image.  We then reify the AST inside the image and use it to
> compile Ruby methods into bytecodes.  Once this is done, we can then
> compile the external Ruby parser and bring it into the image.
>
> If anyone is interested, please drop me a line.  But in particular, I am
> wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Joe Bacanskas.  (Gemstone
> is one of the VMs I'd like to target at first.)

You know Ruby is an open-source project. If you plan to use a commercial
VM, i think the Ruby developpers will not follow you, even you have a
faster VM ...

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##