"Abstract" and "Basic" classes (was: Re: [BUG] Various packages in Squeak 3.8 (eCompletion, Comanche, Seaside...))

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Apr 9 03:19:12 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 8:34 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>>>   Let's call it OctetString.
>>
>> Why? It's a ByteArray, after all.
>
>   Because "byte" doesn't necessary mean "8-bit" in general.  (On the
> other hand, I have to admit that 'multi' is also ambiguous, so we need
> a better name for that as well.)

For purely practical reasons, I'd suggest String and ByteString myself.
Those are the names that VW uses, and having the same names would make
porting back and forth easier. On the other hand, what is now called
String is implemented in terms of bytes, so it's arguably just as
correct. If we try to run Squeak on a platform with bytes of another
size, I think the name ByteString will be the least of the issues we
encounter. ;-)

Colin