"Abstract" and "Basic" classes (was: Re: [BUG] Various packages in Squeak 3.8 (eCompletion, Comanche, Seaside...))

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sat Apr 9 18:15:00 UTC 2005

  Colin,

> >   Because "byte" doesn't necessary mean "8-bit" in general.  (On the
> > other hand, I have to admit that 'multi' is also ambiguous, so we need
> > a better name for that as well.)
>
> For purely practical reasons, I'd suggest String and ByteString myself.
> Those are the names that VW uses, and having the same names would make
> porting back and forth easier. On the other hand, what is now called
> String is implemented in terms of bytes, so it's arguably just as
> correct. If we try to run Squeak on a platform with bytes of another
> size, I think the name ByteString will be the least of the issues we
> encounter. ;-)

  OctetString is my preference, but I don't have too strong feeling.
(We would will need to rename #isOctetString and #asOctetString, but
it is not a biggie.)

  If I understand your suggestion correctly, ByteString is subclass of
an abstract class String, right?  What would be the good name for
MultiString?

-- Yoshiki